Before starting looking for a home you should take a look the following checklist:
- Where do I want to live? (community/general area)
- How much should I expect to spend on purchasing a home?
- Are schools a factor? What kind of schools do I want for my kids? Private or Public? schools based on religious or secular schools ?
- Do I want an older home or a new one?
- What style of home do I prefer? (bungalow, split-level, 2-storey, town home, condominium, multi-family, ranch, other)
- How much renovation and remodelling am I willing to do?
- Is being close to public transportation important?
- Do I have special physical requirements, such as wheel chair access?
- Do I have pets to consider?
- What sort of lot of propriety would I like? (small yard, large yard, fenced, patio/deck, no yard, acreage)
- How many bedrooms do I need? How many would I like to have?
- How many bathrooms do I need? How many would I like to have?
- How big of a house do I want? How many rooms?
What features are important? (air conditioning, carpeting, ceramic tile floors, hardwood floors, eat-in kitchen, separate dining room, formal living room, family room, den, library, basement, separate laundry room, fireplace, workshop, garage, other)